pitching, interviewing, reviewing
Participants will learn about the different kinds of arts journalism (music, art, literature, theatre etc); skills taught will include writing arts reviews, forging relationships with arts PRs, music agents, literary agents etc, pitching arts stories, interviewing people in the arts, writing up interviews with arts practitioners.
None required – but an interest in the arts a distinct advantage, and some knowledge of arts writing a plus.
this course will be of interest to
People wishing to write about the arts (music, art, theatre, literature etc); those wishing to break into arts journalism; those wishing to improve existing arts journalism skills.
This course runs from 10am – 5pm over Saturday 16th November.
Over one day:
- Examination of the different kinds of arts journalism (e.g. music, art, literature, theatre, film, heritage)
- How to write an arts review
- How to forge a relationship with arts PRs, agents and other important contacts
- Interviewing people in the arts
- Writing up interviews with arts professionals
- What makes for a strong arts article
- Pitching arts stories to editors
Helen Nugent is a multi-award-winning journalist and the Editor of Northern Soul, a culture and enterprise website about the North of England. She teaches Music Journalism at Salford University and is a professional journalist. During her career, Helen has worked in London for The Times for a decade, freelanced for most of the national newspapers including The Guardian, The Observer, The Independent and The Mail on Sunday, been a presenter for BBC 5 Live and BBC local radio, and a senior Editor at The Spectator. She runs her own media training company.
- feature writing
- music journalism
- news journalism
Salford M5 4WT